Title: A Court of Frost and Starlight
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Published by: Bloomsbury on May 1, 2018
Genres: YA Fantasy, NA, Romance
Rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Synopsis: Feyre, Rhys, and their close-knit circle of friends are still busy rebuilding the Night Court and the vastly-changed world beyond. But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it, a hard-earned reprieve. Yet even the festive atmosphere can’t keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated–scars that will have far-reaching impact on the future of their Court.
You look like an angry snowball.
This book was so much fun! I was hesitant to pick this up because I wasn’t a fan of ACOWAR, but this was the light and fluffy book I needed to get me out of a reading slump. I consider this something like a “special episode.” It gives you all you want and possibly will come across in fanfiction, but it’s cannon. So don’t expect much plot progression in this one because you will only get our favorite Night Court heroes living their lives.
1. The Bromance: You can never get enough bromance! I loved the interactions among Rhysand, Cassian, and Azriel. Their shared scenes were adorable and super funny. I laughed out loud way too many times on my trip back from SoCal because of their scenes. It’s great to see these powerful men who are in charge of some serious business able to relax and hang out with people they care about.
2. Amren: In ACOWAR, Amren becomes a female High Fae and in ACOFAS we get to see Amren adjust to her new form. Amren’s scenes were my favorite and again I laughed waaay too much because of them. I love how because she has never had to deal with “fae” propriety so she has no problem talking about anything that could be considered improper. And that dinner scene was my favorite! Was Mor’s line a Harry Potter reference? Has it changed one of the most beloved Harry Potter quotes forever? It kind of has for me, but I’m not mad about it!
3. How everyone deals with the aftermath of the war: This is the one part of ACOFAS that wasn’t light. This story takes places after the events of ACOWAR, so I appreciate that SJM didn’t completely brush that off to the side. Some people overwork themselves, some people over train, some people are dealing with the loss of family members, and some people shut themselves off from their loved ones. On the other hand, some people are ready to heal. It’s nice to see Elain adjust to her new Made self and Feyre paint to feel like her old self.
4. Hints of whats to come: Like I said, it’s the end of the war. Trouble is brewing in the Illyrian training camps, and Mor catches a strange feeling that makes her quickly retreat. I’m now once again curious about the rest of the series despite my dislike of ACOWAR because I want to know what’s going on.
1. Rhysand’s horniness: I mean, his brother is talking about death and how people aren’t happy with how the war was handled, and all he can think about is how sex deprived he is and all the places he’s had sex with his mate. Save that for some other time, Rhys!
2. The sex scene: It’s SJM. Of course there’s a sex scene. I’m just not a fan of her sex scenes. They’re just too over the top for me. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with sex scenes in books but sex on the beach sounds uncomfortable and painful later and sex with paint sounds way gooier than I’d like it to be >.>. I guess if I was as powerful as a High fae I could possibly see how the sex in this book could work.
I wasn’t loving this, but after the first hundred pages I grew to truly enjoy it! We do get hints of what’s to come since not everyone is exactly happy with the results of the war,so I don’t think you should skip this one before the next book comes out because you’ll miss some key details. If you aren’t planning to read this anytime soon, I suggest reading this during winter because it’s light and entertaining with little plot. It’s a perfect Christmas time read!
Have you entered by giveaway for a chance to win and ARC of LifeL1k3 by Jay Kristoff yet? Check out my YALLWEST post for further details! You have until 11:59 PDT tonight to enter!